Monday, February 27, 2012

Easy Southwest Sprouted Bean Soup


Okay so I didn't have fresh cilantro on hand...so I used dried parsley for garnish...I never said I was a professional!

For me, fast food used to mean a greasy burger and fries. Tasty at the time, but made me feel terrible afterwards. Not only did I feel guilty while eating it, but for me, there was pain afterwards and it lived on in my body fat. Awesome.

“Fast food” has taken on a whole new meaning for me. Take this soup for example. It’s a quick and easy soup to throw together. It’s also a good way to use up whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. I’ve used leeks before, and I’ve thrown in broccoli florets or kale…anything goes. You could also add a dash of cayenne pepper if you like it extra spicy. 

If you like your soup veggies to be super soft and mushy, just simmer the soup longer than the recommended 15-20 minutes. I happen to like my veggies to still have a bit of firmness to them, so this recipe is perfect for that. Nice and warming on a cold day!

(Also, as always, this soup is free of gluten, wheat, yeast, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs. I use all organic veggies and broth and gluten-free spices. Make sure your chicken stock is labeled gluten free!)

Easy Southwest Sprouted Bean Soup
gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, egg free, corn free, soy free

2 TBS olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 TBS cumin
1 TBS chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes
2 ½ cups sprouted bean trio (TruRoots)
8 cups chicken stock*
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro & avocado for garnish

Start by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the diced onions and sauté until they start to get translucent. Add the garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté for a couple more minutes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.  Then add the peppers, cumin, and chili powder. Stir it all up and then add the diced tomatoes, sprouted beans, and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Always taste it at this point and decide whether it needs more salt and/or pepper. Top with fresh cilantro & avocado (diced fresh tomatoes would be a great topping too) and enjoy! (Please note: this soup was inspired by a recipe I LOVE, Black-Eyed Pea Soup from www.nourishingmeals.com )

*for a true vegan soup, substitute vegetable broth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for your comment! Have a fabulous day! :-)